Louis Anderson and Hilma Erikson were married there August 9 and returned to Chicago to Live until they came to Lowell in 1920.
Louis was a carpenter and cabinet maker for the Pullman Sleeping Car company and later, changed to the Illinois Central Railroad's passenger car shops. Association with the Clover Leaf Milk company took him first to Lowell, then after four years, to Crown Point as manager of the company's creameries at these points.
When the creameries were closed Louis worked for the Electric Sign company on Indiana avenue until it, too, moved on. Janitor work at the high school and Community building kept him busy for more than nine years and he has been doing similar caretaking at Trinity Lutheran school, not far from his home, for the past four.
Louis was 83 last Sunday. This year is his 60th in the United States. Born at Uddevalla, Sweden, he went to school there and was confirmed in the Lutheran church. He learned farming and carpentry and at 23 left for the United States and Chicago, where he immediately found work building refrigerator cars at the Wells and France car shops. Hard times were responsible for the shop's closing down but Louis found work for two years in the coal mines at Danville, Illinois. He became an American citizen there and waited for Election day to roll around so that he could vote for McKinley before returning to Chicago and work at the Pullman car shops.
In 1907, as a Pullman employee, he secured a railroad pass to Boston, where he boarded ship for Sweden to visit his parents, brothers and sisters and to bring back his bride-to-be.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have lived at 313 North Grant street since purchase of the house in 1924. Their children, Elmer, Ruth, Esther and Gordon, grew up there. All of them are graduates of Crown Point high school. Elmer lives in Crown Point, Gordon in Hobart, Ruth (Mrs. Terry Johnson) in Merrillville and Esther (Mr. Frank Maas) in Riverside, Illinois. The Andersons have eight grandchildren.
Return to Biographies.