Born on a farm near Sherburnville, in Yellowhead township, Kankakee county, Illinois, October 27, 1864. she was the daughter of James J., a Civil War veteran, and Nancy Kile Kelsey, the first white baby, as distinguished from Indians, born in that township.
Laura attended the public schools in Illinois and studied music in Chicago. Later she taught music and was organist at the Sherburnville Methodist church.
On December 27, 1888, she married A. Bryon Chipman and they farmed in the Sherburnville area until 1900, when they moved to a farm in West Creek township. In 1908 and 1909 they lived in Texas and then returned to Lake County and located in Lowell.
For several years Mr. and Mrs. Chipman lived in Crown Point, where he was a member of the city council. They were also active members and officers of the First Presbyterian church.
They had three children, Mildred, who married Franklin B. Hosbach of Erie, Pennsylvania; Edith, wife of Robert R. Engles; and Albert B. Chipman, who lives in Plymouth, Mrs. Hosbach's death occurred in 1929.
Mrs. Chipman makes her home with the Engles in Meadowbrook subdivision, half way between Gary and Crown Point, at 1751 West 61st avenue, Gary. She is a member of the 43rd Avenue Presbyterian church in Gary and attends services there every Sunday. She has membership in the Daughters of American Revolution and War Mothers in Plymouth and attends meetings when she is with her son.
Her favorite pastime is watching television, reading and mending. She has three grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
Her birthday was celebrated at the home of her grandson, Albert B. Chipman, Jr., in Hammond and the celebration has continued through the weeks in the receipt of 109 cards. Down through the years, Mrs. Chipman's cheerful smile and cordial friendliness have made her many loyal friends, who join in wishing her continued happiness.
Mrs. Chipman was born October 27, 1864, in Yellowhead township, Kankakee county, Ill.
She was married to A. Byron Chipman December 29, 1888, and he passed away in 1930. He had been city councilman in Crown Point for a number of years. Prior to their residency at the County Seat, the Chipmans farmed in West Creek township.
Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Chipman made her home with her daughter, Mrs. R.R. Engels in Gary, and with her son, Albert B. Chipman, former judge of the Marshall Curcuit Court at Plymouth. A daughter, Mrs. Frank Hasbach,* preceded her in death.
Mrs. Chipman was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, War Mothers at Plymouth, and the 43rd Avenue Presbyterian church at Gary.
The War Mothers conducted memorial services Saturday evening at Plymouth, and funeral services were held in the Linton-McColly Chapel in Gary, at 2 p.m., Monday, May 6, with Dr. John Goodpasture and Rev. Paul Shultz officiating. She was laid to rest beside her husband in Maplewood cemetery, Crown Point.
* Note -- Her deceased daughter’s married name (Hasbach) had various spellings in other news articles (Hosbach, Hofbach). It is most often seen as "Hosbach."
Return to Lowell Biographies.