Hon. Schuyler Colfax Dwyer was born in Washington, D.C., July 22, 1869.
He was named for that eminent Indiana statesman, Schuyler Colfax, of
whom he still treasures a photograph with autograph. At an early age
Schuyler's parents moved to Lake County, Ind., where he received most of
his early schooling in Crown Point and Lowell. He pursued the
preparatory course at Depauw, and the high school course at Washington
City, where his father held a government position. Here he was a member
of the famous Cadet Corps. He taught one term of school in Lake County,
and returning to Washington, took the first year of his law course at
Georgetown University. There he had the inestimable privilege of
studying law in the office of Mr. Barnard, now one of the District Court
judges in Washington. Mr. Dwyer completed his college and law course at
Depauw University in 1889. In 1890 he was married to Miss Sylvia Bacon.
Two daughters, Portia and Helen, grace this union. He has been engaged
in the practice of law since his graduation. In 1893 he located in
Lowell, where he enjoys a pleasant and lucrative business and a
comfortable home. He is the recipient of the unanimous nomination on
the Republican ticket for Joint Representative of Lake and Newton
Counties. Mr. Dwyer is physically, intellectually, morally and socially
equipped for exacting public service. He is well known among the
fraternal orders, especially the Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows. He
is respected for his ability and fairness at the bar and for his public
spirit in his own town.
This portion of an unidentified article, hand-dated 1953, was found in a scrapbook owned by Town Historian Richard Schmal:
In June, 1978, at the age of 9, Schuyler Dwyer was required by his father as daily exercise to recite the Declaration of Independence from the farthest corner of their farm lawn so that, sitting in a rocker on the front porch, he could hear every word. This was in preparation for Schuyler's recitation of that cherished document at the 4th of July picnic at Lowell where they say his voice carried well beyond the outer fringes of the large crowd.
Schuyler went on with public speaking at Lowell and later at De Pauw University, where he was graduated in liberal arts and law and belonged to the debating team. He practiced law in Terre Haute, Chicago, Lowell, and in 1893 moved to Hammond, where he practiced until four years ago. He was a United States commissioner at Hammond for 17 years.
Schuyler, born July 22, 1869, at Washington, D.C., was named after his father's good friend Schuyler Colfax, vice-president of the United States under President Ulysses Grant.
His father, John Dwyer, came to Lowell after graduation from Oberlin College to teach, met and married Cornelia Artemissa Clark, daughter of Jabez, the first white settler in Lowell (1837). John had been wounded at Gettysburg, and again at the Battle of the Wilderness, where his leg was amputated, and was working in the War department office when Schuyler was born. John and his family returned to Lowell in 1871, living in a house on the fire station corner. He was elected Lake County Recorder two years later and the family moved to Crown Point to live in the first house north of the Community building, now owned by Harold Pelton.
The farm west of Lowell where Schuyler practiced his oratory for the 4th of July was their next residence for four years. The Dwyers then moved to Greencastle to give Schuyler, his brother and sister an opportunity to go to school while John returned to the War Department in Washington.
Schuyler married Sylvia Bacon at Lowell in 1892 and moved to Hammond the following year. She was a granddaughter of James Henry Sanger, Sr., who arrived in Lowell two years after Jabez Clark, settled on 1000 acres, built the first frame house in the community about 1847 with materials hauled by oxen from Chicago. The fine old house is occupied now by his grandson, Fred Sanger. Sylvia's mother, Martha Brace Sanger, married Dr. Epenetus Reed Bacon, one of the early doctors in Lowell, who built the white house in 1869 on the corner at the top of the hill on Commercial Avenue. . .
There is a "Continued on Page Four" direction at this point in the story, but "Page Four" was missing from the scrapbook.
Obituary of Schuyler Dwyer, unknown source (in Clipping Files at Lowell Public Library--LH--"Vital Statistics," Vol. 2, p. 20).
Death Closes Long Legal Career For Schuyler Dwyer, 84
Service for Former U.S. Commissioner in Lowell Friday
Schuyler Colfax Dwyer, 84, former state legislator and U.S. Commissioner and and a member of one of southern Lake county's oldest families, died Tuesday in the Hammond hospital, where he had been taken last week from the family home in Lowell for care of illness that followed more than six months of failing health.
United States commissioner in Hammond from 1927 to 1945, the veteran attorney continued in legal practice there until 1848, year of his retirement. After the death of Mrs. Dwyer, the former Sylvia Bacon of another of Lowell's early families, five years ago he had lived in Chicago with his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Green, who later came with him to Lowell to make a home in the fine old family residence, built in 1865, "at the top of the hill" on Commercial avenue.
Lived Here in Early Boyhood
Son of John Dwyer, one of Lake county's early recorders and a Civil War soldier, Schuyler was born on July 22, 1869 in Washington, D.C., where his father was in the War Department. After early years here, while his father held county office, Schuyler went with his parents to a farm west of Lowell. Schooling there was followed by study at De Pauw university, where he was graduated with degrees in liberal arts and law. His practice as an attorney, undertaken in Terre Haute, was continued in Chicago, Lowell and Hammond, where he was active in his profession from 1893 until retirement.
During residence in Lowell he had served as joint representative for Lake and Newton counties in the Indiana legislature.
His mother, Cornelia Clark, was a daughter of Jabez Clark, first white settler in Cedat Creek township, who came with his wife from New York state in 1837.
Mr. Dwyer was a member of the Methodist church, the Masonic, Knights of Pythias and Oddfellows lodges.
Another daughter, Mrs. Glen Grubb of Whiting, survives with Mrs. Green, five grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
Rev. E.L. Worley of Shelby's Church of Christ will conduct services at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon in Sheets funeral home before burial is made in Lowell cemetery.
Obituary of Schuyler Dwyer from a Dec. 1953 Lowell Tribune newspaper clipping (in Clipping Files at Lowell Public Library--LH--"Vital Statistics," Vol. 3, p. 16):
Schuyler C. Dwyer, Colorful Figure In Lowell History, Dies
The passing of Schuyler Colfax Dwyer, 84, Tuesday afternoon, closed a colorful chapter in an era of Lowell history as well as that of a prominent figure.
He was the son of John Dwyer who came to Lowell afrer graduating from Oberlin, Ohio, to teach, and he met and married Cornelia Clark, daughter fo Jabez and Marietta Clark, first white (married) settlers in Lake county. They came to this region from New York in 1837. John had been wounded at Gettysburg and again during the Battle of the Wilderness, where his leg was amputated. He was working in the War Department office, Washington, D.C. when Schuyler Colfax was born July 22, 1869. He was named after his father's friend, Schuyler Colfax, vice president of the United States under Presiden Ulysses Grant.
The family returned to Lowell in 1871 and John was elected Lake county recorder in 1873. He later returned to work for the War Department.
Reared in an atmosphere of pioneer patriotism, Schuyler was interested in civic affairs and law. He was awarded a degree in liberal arts and law at DePauw university, Greencastle, in 1889. Following graduation he practiced his profession in Chicago.
In 1890 he claimed Miss Sylvia Bacon as his bride. She was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. E.R. Bacon, prominent early physician. In 1869 the Bacons built the white house at the top of the hill on Commercial Avenue where Schuyler and Sylvia spent many happy years together. The lovely home is a landmark in Lowell's history.
After his marriage Schuyler live in Lowell and served as Town Attorney and in this capacity named the streets of Lowell. About this same year he was appointed Deputy Prosecuting Attorney of southern Lake county, and in 1906 he was elected to the State Legislature as Joint Representative from Lake and Newton counties.
It was in 1911 that he opened additional law offices in Hammond and six years later moved his family to Whiting. However, they retained the family home in Lowell where they enjoyed many summertime and week end retreats and where Schuyler spent his declining years.
Schuyler became Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the city of Whiting and in 1927 he was appointed U.S. Commissioner for the Northern Indiana District with offices in Hammond. He held this position until 1944.
Prominent in political circles and highly esteemed, Atty. Dwyer was an active member of the Methodist church, the Masonic lodge, Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows lodge. He took an active interest in Lowell's Centennial celebration held in August, 1952.
His loving wife passed away December 21, 1948. He leaves to mourn his passing, two daughters, Mrs. Glen Grubb of Whiting and Mrs. Thomas A. Green of Lowell; a son-in-law, Thomas A. Green; five grandchildren and four great grandchildren, besides a host of friends over the county.
Memorial services will be held at the Sheets Funeral Home at two o'clock Friday, December 11th, with Rev. E. L. Worley officiating, He will be laid to rest in the Lowell cemetery beside his wife.