From the Star, Aug. 17, 1872
Also found in the Clipping Files at Lowell Public Library--LH--"Businesses"
A big dance was announced to be held at the Union Hotel on Friday night. The hotel stood where the residence now occupied by Dr. and Mrs. G.W. Bardens stands.
From the Lowell Tribune, August 2, 1928, page 1. Also found in the Local History files at Lowell Public Library under LH: Schools--Early High School:
The first school building in Lowell was located in the old town near the present site of the Clark Monument Works, east of the cemetery. But when Melvin A. Halsted, who is regarded as the founder of Lowell, began the new town on Cedar Creek, he built a one story, one room brick school house on a hill which was on Lot 1. of Clark's Addition. This lot is now occupied by Trump's restaurant, Pixley's jewelry store, Victor K. Roberts' law office, and E.M. Berg's clothing store. Soon this building proved inadequate and a frame house was used as an annex. This house was built by John Lynch. It stood back of the livery stable and later was moved to the corner and has been remodeled into the Nicholas Minninger bungalow. During the 60's the overflow of the school was cared for in the upper hall of the Mee hotel. The upper floor of this hotel was a large hall in which were held school by day and dances by night. The Mee hotel was located on the site of the Mrs. L. Davis residence which is now occupied by Dr. and Mrs. G.W. Bardens. The hotel was later destroyed by fire.