The Lowell Legion Post was formed in October 1919 with twenty-one charter members. The Post's headquarters at that time consisted of a club room above a mercantile building on Commercial Avenue.
In 1927 the Legion purchased the Borden Dairy building located on the present Legion premises. The building was a two story brick structure with a meeting room on the first floor and a small community hall on the second floor.
In 1948 the Legionnaires realized the need for a larger community building and a recreation center for this locality. Construction was started by adding to the present building, which was to house eight bowling alleys on the first floor and a community hall on the second floor.
This addition was completed in February 1949 and the Lowell Post was credited with having the first Legion owned and operated bowling establishment in the State of Indiana.
Present membership of Post 101 is approximately 307.
|*||1924||Ed M. Berg|
|--||1931||Dr. G.W. Bardens|
|--||1935||Dr. F.G. Behmlander|
For more information, read "A Local Creamery and the Lowell American Legion Post #101," by Richard Schmal.
Return to Biographies.