DID YOU KNOW THAT:
All who are interested in the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Town of Lowell should be aware that our town will be that old in the year 2002?
In 1880 the Cedar Lake Post Office was in a general store in the Village of Creston?
The Old Timer has seen a letter with the postmark of "Pleasant Grove, Ind.," dated 1897? The post office was near the present Lake Dalecarlia dam.
You could buy a leather-topped buggy for $35.00 from the Sears catalog in 1902?
The fine house on the northwest corner of Commercial Ave. and Fremont Street in Lowell was built by Dr. E.R. Bacon soon after the Civil War, and it survived the big fire of 1898?
Years ago an old United States engineer's map of Cedar Lake showed depths of 45 feet?
There is still a log house on the bluff overlooking Lake Shore Drive in Cedar Lake?
Coleman's Hotel was once called "Ray's Corner"?
Large two-masted sailboats, "E" class, once raced at Cedar Lake?
Love's hay barn, long a landmark on Washington St. near the railroad, is still in existence, relocated in West Creek Twp.?
St. Anthony Catholic Church, built in 1860, once stood at the present site of the burial ground at the Village of Klaasville (south of Brunswick)?
The old right-of-way for the Gifford Railway can still be seen in the Village of Dinwiddie?
The old "Half Way House" on the curve between Cedar Lake and Crown Point, remembered by only a few, was built before 1900 by William Seramur? William Hacker was one of the early proprietors.
Paisley, Armour, Cook, and Hanover Center were names connected with the early years of the Town of Cedar Lake?
In 1901 thousands of carloads of debris were used to fill a huge sink hole on the Monon Railroad (north of Cedar Lake)?
The DuBreuil-Keilman steam-powered grist mill and elevator, built in 1880, was located across the railroad tracks from the Lowell Depot? It was demolished in 1927 after a legal condemnation.
Three churches were built in 1870 at Lowell Church of Christ, United Methodist and St. Edward Catholic?
An ordinance passed by the Town Board of Lowell in 1868 make it unlawful to let horses, cattle, sheep or hogs run at large in the corporation?
An ordinance of June 5, 1871, made it unlawful to ride or drive on any streets or alleys in Lowell at a faster rate than six miles per hour?
In 1950 Cedar Lake sponsored "Pioneer Days" on July 1-4? It featured boat races, a parade, a horse show and rodeo, a beard growing contest, and fireworks.
Some of the streets in early Lowell were named after early settlers, most of them businessmen, including Nichols, Halsted, Clark, Castle, Burnham and Viant?
Four streets were named after presidents -- Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson and Harrison, while three were named after states -- Michigan, Indiana and Illinois?
Acetylene gas was once used for lighting some homes in the Lowell area?
The majority of the doorways of the downtown business places have been changed through the years? Many that were in the center are now on the side, while some side doors were moved to the center.
There were several stairways along the north side of Commercial Ave. between Mill Street and Fremont? These led to basement businesses.
Commercial Ave. is a concrete road built in 1928 under the blacktop? At first it was a dirt road, and then it was stoned and tarred.
The Lowell Town Board passed an ordinance in 1888 banning all barbed wire along any sidewalks in the corporation?
The board passed another one in 1871 prohibiting swimming in the state of nudity in the daylight, with the penalty not to exceed $3.00?
The first newspaper said to be printed in Lake County was the Great Western, published by pioneer Solon Robinson of Crown Point during the years 1836 to 1842? It was one sheet, folded to form four pages, with the price of $2.00 per year, which was often paid with produce.
One man claimed to kill 2,300 ducks in one season in the early days of the Kankakee Marsh? Muskrats were also trapped by the thousands.
In the 1830's a ship canal was proposed from the Wabash River at Huntington, going northwest through Rochester, Knox and Valpo, then on to Gary? By the time plans were completed, the railroads took over the transportation industry, and the proposed canal was never built.
The forerunner of the Lake County Historical Society, the Lake County Old Settler's Association, was founded in 1875?
The wooded area in Hilltop subdivision in Lowell was once called "Driscoll's Woods" after 1830's pioneer John Driscoll, whose cabin was near the present Joe Martin Road and Commercial Ave.?
The emblem used during the Lowell Centennial celebration in 1952 featured a jug of Sulphur H2O"? There was also a picture of Melvin Halsted, the founder of Lowell, along with a covered wagon and a modern diesel train, pictured over the dates "1852-1952."
The outer ring of stars on the Indiana State Flag represents the first 13 states, the inner ring is for the next 5 states, while the one star - - above the torch -- is for Indiana, the 19th state of the Union, admitted Dec. 11, 1816? The torch stands for liberty and enlightenment. The flag was adopted in 1917 during World War I.
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page