DID YOU KNOW THAT:
Thomas and Sarah Childers were the first homesteaders in South Lake County? Their house was built in October 1834 on a site about two miles north of the present Town of Schneider. The area was called School Grove first, then changed to Oak Grove. Solon Robinson, founder of Crown Point arrived in Lake County soon after the Childers.
The area that became the Town of Hebron was called "Indian Town" in the early days of Porter County?
There is a stone marker on State Road 2, west of U.S. 41, honoring Nehemiah and Harriet Hayden, pioneers of 1837?
The area near Sanders Cemetery (205th Ave., near U.S. 41) was called "Pine Grove"? The Pine Grove Church stood near the cemetery, while the building now is a private residence in the same area. A historical marker at the cemetery reads: "William Sanders, Emma Harriss Sanders, Pioneers, who settled this section, built the first school here and deeded this cemetery to the Township. Centennial Memorial 1841-1941 -- Erected by the Sanders Clan."
In the severe winter of 1834-35, four hardy pioneers barely survived in a crude dugout shelter in the West Creek area. Three of those early settlers, looking for homesteads, were George Lyman Foster, Alfred D. Foster and Reuben Chapman.
The one-hundred-foot water tower that was erected in the town square in about 1900 had a capacity of 59,000 gallons, while the water tower at Liberty Park holds 200,000 gallons? The early tower had a diameter of 10 feet and stood at the site of the previous fountain, presently a flower plot at Senior Citizens Park.
In 1940 "Ripley's Believe It or Not" column featured a drawing of the Little Family Homestead at Newbury, Massachusetts? It was dubbed "The oldest farm in the United States, continually occupied by the Little family for 300 years." The owner in 1940 was Silas Little of the tenth generation to live there, and a relative of the Littles of the Lowell area.
Many homesteaders paid $1.25 per acre to the United States government for their land?
"Cat and clay" was the name given to some early fireplaces? -- Nothing to do with the family cat, the old fireplaces were formed from mud and sticks, with the fiber from the cattail plant (Typha) mixed with clay for strength.
In the October 1983 "Pioneer History" column, the Old Timer suggested that an old-fashioned brass band be formed? There was no interest at the time, but it could be a fine idea now, as we are coming closer to our town's 150th birthday in 2002.
The name of the pageant presented during the 1952 Centennial Celebration was "Our American Heritage"? The large production was presented on a large outdoor stage built for the occasion at the rear of the present Lowell Middle School, which was still Lowell High School in 1952.
In the summer of 1875, 17-year-old Max Ahlgrim was aboard the steamboat "Morning Star" on a trip up the Kankakee River from Momence, Illinois, to Shelby? The young man was overseeing a barge load of lumber to be used to build the Ahlgrim family home for his parents, Christopher and Mina Ahlgrim.
The Union Civil War veterans of the Lowell area formed Burnham Post #376 of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) on Dec. 2, 1883? The charter membership was 53, with 68 members in 1896.
The Town of Lowell Trustees (Town Council) were paid $50 per year in 1896? The Town Marshal, the lone law enforcement officer, received the sum of thirty dollars per month.
Thousands of Civil War veterans from both the North and the South attended the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1913? The men of the South reenacted General Pickett's Charge with their canes instead of muskets, and were met with firm handshakes by the men of the North.
The northern edge of the old Kankakee Marsh once came very near to Belshaw Road?
In 1905 men's work shirts were advertised at George Kimmet's store in Lowell for the low price of 25¢?
The semi-pro baseball team organized in Lowell long ago was called "The Lowell Stars"?
The old bridge on Clark Street in Lowell, now being replaced, was the only one over which you could go north from Lowell until the 1920's when the Mill Street bridge was built?
The weather in March 1899 was mild, in the 40's and 50's, with a small snowstorm at the end of the month? April, one hundred years ago, was very mild with temperatures in the 70's. "Flowers were growing in the woods and fruit trees in blossom."
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page