A.) A memorial for a deceased relative
No. 1 -- The present Lowell Chamber of Commerce building at the southwest corner of Commercial Ave. and Fremont St. was built in 1922. What was it's first use? (a) Insurance Office; (b) School Administration Office; (c) Town Hall; (d) Assessor.
No. 2 -- What present business building was the former site of the Ritz Theatre? (a) Lowell Carpet Store; (b) East part of Davis Store; (c) Hawkeye's Restaurant; (d) Midtown Hardware; (e) McVey's Restaurant.
No. 3 -- Soon after the Big Fire of 1898, George M. Death built a new brick building over the ashes of his frame hardware store. Where is this building today? (a) demolished; (b) northwest corner of Clark and Commercial; (c) northeast corner Commercial and Halsted; (d) east bank of Cedar Creek; (e) south side Commercial.
No . 4 -- The east part of the present Lowell Health Center on Burnham Street was originally built for: (a) a YMCA; (b) a clothing factory; (c) St. Edward Church and School; (d) NIPSCO Office.
No. 5 -- The old school still standing on Main Street was built in what year? (a) 1884; (b) 1896 (c) 1906; (d)1898; (e) 1917 No. 6 -- An old gate at the end of Parkview Street at Oakley Avenue features the initials "O-P" -- What does that stand for? (a) Our Park; (b) Oakley Promenade; (c) Oakland Park; (d) Old Parade ground; (e) Oakhill Place
No. 7 -- A large business building, called the "Opera House," built in the 1890's at the northeast corner of Commercial Avenue and Mill Street, survived the Big Fire of 1898. Name the year when it was lost in another fire. (a) 1918; (b) 1934; (c) -1976; (d) 1941; (e) 2002.
No. 8 -- What was the name of the one room school house that is now a part of a private home on Liberty Street, north of the Lowell Post Office? (a) West Creek; (b) Bruce; (c) Nichols; (d) Mikels; (e) Buncombe.
No. 9 -- Built about 1881, but demolished in 1927, a large steam-powered grist mill once stood across the railroad tracks from the present Lowell Depot. What was the company's name? (a) Nichols Elevator Co.; (b) Ruge and Gragg Co.; (c) Du Breuil & Keilman Co.; (d) Lowell Grain & Hay Co.; (e) Dinwiddie Elevator Co.
No. 10 -- Where was Bogus Island? (a) East Lagoon, Lake Dalecarlia; (b) Shurte's Marsh; (c) Bonny Lake; (d) Beaver Lake, Newton County; (e) Redwing Lake.
No. 11 -- The north part of the present Middle School was built long ago for a new High School in the Town of Lowell. What year was it built? (a) 1914; (b) 1934; (c) 1905; (d) 1924; (e) 1941.
No. 12 -- Mark the correct name of a very well known pioneer Lake County historian; (a) Aaron Childs; (b) Thomas A. Bell; (c) Timothy H. Ball; (d) Archibald Belt; (e) Henry Long; (f) Adonijah Taylor; (g) Jeff Manes.
No. 13 -- The 800 seat Grand Theatre, built circa 1910 at the southeast corner of Jefferson and Clark Streets in Lowell, was demolished in 1935, and some of the materials, including the large roof trusses, were used to build a Lake County Highway Garage. This garage is still standing today. Where is it? (a) It is now the tavern/restaurant on east bank of Cedar Creek; (b) It is now the large storage building near the downtown South Parking Lot; (c) It is a part of the Rieter Automotive North America complex on Harding Drive; (d) It is now on the southwest corner of Commercial Avenue and Nichols Street. (e) It is a part of the old Palo Theatre Building on Mill Street.
No. 14 -- When the route of the famous Cobe Race of 1909 came from the north into the town of Lowell, what street was used? (a) Clark Street, (b) Mill Street; (c) Mount Street; (d) Nichols Street; (e) Burr Street.
No. 15 -- Two blocks of business buildings on the south side of Commercial Avenue were burned to the ground in the Big Fire of 1898. Check one:
True _____ False _____
No. 16 -- Name four streets in the Town of Lowell that were named after United States Presidents:
No. 17 -- The area near US 41 and 133rd Avenue has been called three different names. Choose a letter: (a) Centerville, Clark, Cedar Springs; (b) Hanover Center, Cook, Cedar Lake; (c) Brunswick, West Creek, Clear Lake; (d) Hanoverville, Schutz, Red Fir Lake; (e) Creston, Tinkerville, Pine Lake.
No. 18 -- The "Livery Stable," an interesting antique mall, burned to the ground on October 26, 1985. The old barn-like building was a stable in Lowell's early days and was the site of an implement agency. What street was it on? (a) Mill Street; (b) Jefferson Street; (c) Washington Street; (d) Halsted Street; (e) Commercial Avenue.
No. 19 -- Most homes at Lowell, Cedar Lake and other south Lake County communities had radios at the time of World War One. Check one:
True _____ False _____
We assume that there will be no cheating. Give yourself 1 point for every correct answer, including the question with the photo. If you have a total of 15 or more correct answers you must be: (a) a very interested newcomer; (b) someone with a great memory; (c) a very good guesser; or (d) you must be an OLD TIMER TOO!
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page