Elmer Carlyle Saylor, son of Richard and Hattie C. Saylor, was born at Lowell, Ind., August 16, 1892, and departed this life on Dec. 24th, 1926, at the age of 34 years, four months and eight days. After completing the grade school, he attended and was graduated from high school at Hebron, Ind., and later attended the King's School of Oratory at Pittsburg, and afterwards attended Valparaiso University from which institution he received the Bachelor of Oratory degree in 1916. Mr. Saylor taught school in South Dakota for several years, and left teaching to enter the U.S. Army on May 25, 1918, where he was assigned to General Headquarters Company, 57th Infantry, and was later transferred to the Cavalry Officers' Training Camp at Fort Sam Houston, and was discharged on Nov. 30, 1918, without serving overseas. While attending high school in Hebron he united with the M.E. church where he was an active member and worker in the Sunday school and young peoples' work. On May 25, 1923, he was baptized by Elder J.M. Snyder and united with the Brethren church at Warsaw where he remained a faithful and devoted Christian unto the end. Mr. Saylor was also a member of the Masonic lodge at Hebron, but took his work in the order at Galveston and Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and there became a 32nd degree Mason. On Sept. 30, 1919, he was married to Sybil Joyce Kanauer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O.A. Kanauer, of Pioneer, Ohio. Soon after the marriage they went to live at Bowdle, S.D., where a daughter was born on August 20, 1920. The family then moved to Warsaw, where they lived since, and where he was employed as a carpenter. In his sudden departure he leaves a companion, one daughter, Sibyl, a father, mother, four sisters and three brothers. They are, Mabel, Georgia, Cerilla, Mrs. Carl Stephens, Munger, Chester and Walter. Besides these there are a great number of other near relatives and friends who deeply mourn the going of a true friend and brother. The order of which he was a member, the community in which he lived, and the church in which he served his Master, and the home wherein he was a prince and loving father, all together seem to have suffered an irreparable loss. In the church he was honored many times in being called to offices of trust and responsibility in which he always served in a quiet and unassuming way. He was loyal to every interest of the church. He loved the church, he loved its ordinances, he loved the Bible and his faith in these never wavered and he was ever happy in the experiences of the Christian life. As a husband and father he was tender, loving and devoted, ever giving to his family all the care and attention that human hands could give. Certainly a great and good man has gone from us, whose life and virtues we shall ever cherish, and whose memory will bring a lasting benefit upon all who knew him. May our Hevenly Father comfort the bereaved ones and may peace be to his ashes up til the dead in Christ shall rise on that glorious resurrection morning.
Funeral services were conducted in the Brethren church in Warsaw, on Sunday, Dec. 26, 1926, in charge of Elder C.C. Grisso, pastor of the church, assisted by Elder T.A. Ronk. Interment in Oakwood cemetery.
Return to Biographies.