Lake Prairie: In 1958 the trustee, Raymond Forburger, and the advisory board, Earl Little, Harry Hathaway, and Harry Brandt, purchased twenty acres of land, from George Koplin, west of the north intersection of State Road No. 2 and U.S. No. 41. Under a recent enabling act of the Indiana Legislature this school was built by a corporation which rents it to the township. The school was ready for use in September 1959. There are fifteen rooms in the building. Eight grades are taught. This made it possible to abandon Sheridan, Lake Prairie (old), and Oakland. The new school was given the name of Lake Prairie. It is one story, the floor area is 34,000 square feet; built at an estimated cost of $14.40 per square foot, the total cost is about $490,000.00.
Wilford Ogle is the principal. The other teachers are: Hilda Dahl, Mrs. Eula Vaught, Mrs. Ruth Weinberg, Mrs. Ingrid Wilkerson, Ralph Ripple, Howard Smith, Mrs. Robert Selvidge, Alfred Parrish, Miss Edith Rissler, Richard Gronert, and Mrs. Ruth Taylor. Two hundred and sixty pupils are enrolled.
The school at Schneider continues with Fred McRoberts as principal and the other teachers are: Otis Harkins, Mrs. Sharon Stokes, Mrs. Florence Little, and Carol Jones. One hundred and forty pupils are enrolled in the eight grades.
When St. Edward's Catholic School, of Lowell, selected their new site in West Creek Township, there was sufficient acreage to build a church, rectory, convert, and a school. Two hundred and eight pupils are enrolled. In 1959 there were three sisters and one lay teacher on the staff.
Return to Lowell History.