The following April 1, 1943, Lowell Tribune article was found on page 1, column 1:
48 FROM LOCAL BOARD LEAVE FOR ARMY-NAVY DUTY
FORTY-ONE SELECTEES AND SEVEN VOLUNTEERS BEGIN ACTIVE DUTY
Forty-eight men, which included seven volunteers, left last week for active duty in the army and navy following their seven-day furlough after being inducted into the service at Fort Benjamin Harrison.
The local board has begun examination and reclassification of men without dependents who were married before the United States entered the war, according to Peter F. Hein, chairman of the board. Those who are not in "essential" work and without dependents are being examined first while those without dependents in "essential" work will be examined next.
Men with children and who are not in "essential" work will be examined when all available men in the first two groups are taken.
Milford H. Zander was listed with the army volunteers.
The following April 15, 1943, Lowell Tribune article was found on page 6, column 3:
Pvt. Milford "Lefty" Zander At Fort Leonard Wood
Pvt. Milford "Lefty" Zander, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Zander, east of Lowell, has been transferred to Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., for his basic training.
This May 4, 1944, Lowell Tribune article was found on page 2, column 1:
T/Cpl. Milford Zander has returned to Camp Breckenridge, Ky., after spending a ten-day furlough here at his home. He was recently transferred to the Kentucky camp following maneuvers in Louisiana.
This Lowell Tribune article was found in the May 24, 1945, issue (page 2, column 2):
NEWLYWEDS RETURN FROM HONEYMOON TRIP
Milford Zander and his bride, the former Louise Seaton, have returned from their honeymoon trip in Kentucky and Tennessee. The young couple were married on May 1st at the Highland Christian Reformed church.
Among the group of several hundred guests at the wedding were the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Seaton, Gary, the groom's parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Zander, and relatives from the region. The Rev. A.F. Colwell, pastor of the Highland Baptist church, officiated at the ceremony for which the chancel of the church was decked with palms and candelabra.
Attended by her sister, Miss Violet Seaton, as maid of honor, the bride was attired in a formal gown of white chiffon; an orange blossom tiara held her short lace bordered veil of white tulle.
Others in the wedding party were Miss Eleanor Trepanier of Crown Point, Miss Nora Laurie and Miss Maxine Seaton, bridesmaids; Richard Fleener of Lowell, best man; and Don Tremper, Lowell, Herschel Hughes, Hammond, and Quentin Blachley of Highland, ushers.