This excerpt was in a "Pioneer History" column written by Town Historian Richard C. Schmal for the Lowell Tribune (April 30, 1980):
David Bryant, one of the group arriving in April 1835, stayed in Pleasant Grove until the spring of 1838. His wife died March 1836, and Ball's History of Lake County tells us she was buried in Morgan Prairie in Porter County.
David married again in December of 1837. His is the first recorded marriage in Lake County, although the license was obtained in Porter County. The marriage was performed by Justice of the Peace Solon Robinson of Crown Point on a very cold December 2nd, 1837.
The following comes from Rev. T.H. Ball's 1904 Encyclopedia of Genealogy and Biography of Lake County, Indiana, with a Compendium of History, 1834-1904:
DAVID BRYANT make a settlement in 1835 at Pleasant Grove, but was not a permanent resident. His wife died in March 1836, and, although he was married again, in the spring of 1838 he removed to Bureau county, Illinois, and staid some years. He then went to Missouri and lived there a few years, returned to Illinois, then went to Ohio, probably to his earlier home and staid five years, and then again, in 1853, became a resident of this county. In 1854 he brought into the county one thousand and sixty-three sheep. He went again to Illinois for a short time, and returned, and again made visits there. He made his last Lake county home with his daughter, Mrs. William Fisher, then living at Eagle Creek, now in Hebron, A younger daughter, a Lake county girl for a number of years, is still living in this state, Mrs. Ora Doddrige.
Mr. Bryant was a very sociable, friendly man. of religious principle, and a church member. Born about 1797. It was said of him when seventy-five years of age, "He is growing feeble, but retains the use of his mental faculties." His memorial belongs to this county of Lake.
Of the five Bryants who commenced in 1835 the Bryant Settlement, and some of whom gave to the grove the name Pleasant, Simeon Bryant, David Bryant, E. Wayne Bryant, Samuel D. Bryant, and Elias Bryant, who joined the others in the fall of 1835, few of them seem to have made it a permanent home.