Prior to 1916, fireos extinguished flames with the aid of a hose cart and 500 feet of hose.
The only equipment available was a hook ladder wagon and barrels PLUS plenty of buckets. Charter members of this bucket brigade were Eugene Nafus, Eugene Duckworth, B.A. Warner, Charles Sherard, George W. Lawrence, G.L. Trump, E.H. Post, C.E. Atwood, H.M. Nichols, Fred Gordon, Milo Brannon, Len W. Ragon, W.L. Rolston. G.H. Henry, George Kobelin, Lewis Wood, F.C. Wood. W. Driscoll, L. Vosburg and William Morgan.
This truck served until 1940 when Lowell got the modern Peter Pirch truck still in use. In 1949 the township bought another Dodge fire truck built by the American Fire Apparatus Co., also an auxiliary pump and light plant. The department has a water wagon, purchased in 1947.
In 1950 a Chevrolet panel first aid truck equipped with oxygen tent and inhalator was obtained. The fireos have all studied first aid courses taught by American Red Cross.
In the past 56 year Len Ragon, Byrl Grant and John Eskridge have served as secretaries. During World War II, Milton Spry filled the post. Chief Harold Brownell has been on the force 30 years and has been chief for the past 13 years.
Others who have served during the course of years include: O.H. Eskridge, John McMann, Kenneth Sheets, Walter Smith, Clark and Ralph Brownell, George Hayden, J. Hoffman, Charles Lloyd, Roy Graves, E.M. Berg, J.A. Taylor, Tom Yeater, Edison Worley, L.B. Falk, Carl Gregg, Howard Slocomb, Harry Gordon, John Miller, M.H. Hoevet, Bill Davis, L. Schurte, Byrl Fish, Verne Falk, Ed Johnson, Cass Scritchfield, Cal Nichols and probably several others of whom we have no record. In recent years a firemen's auxiliary has been organized.
All who are serving, and all who have served, are public spirited citizens, deserving of highest praise.
Go to Lowell Fire Department, "Pioneer History Index," for further information.
Go to Fires, "Pioneer History Index," for further information.
Return to Lowell History