According to an Internet database on Illinois veterans of the Civil War, a Peter M. Brandon was in the Illinois 1st Artillery. His residence at the time of enlistment was listed as Valparaiso. This is probably the P. Brandon of Miller's Ill. Bat. that is listed on the Three Creeks Monument, since the Battery M of the 1st Illinois Light Artillery also went by the nickname of "Miller's Battery." This unit was also nicknamed "Spencer's Battery" and "Cogswell's Battery." It was active from Aug. 12, 1862 until July 24, 1865, and it originated in Cook County.