from pamphlet titled "Three Creeks Monument," undated (in Clipping FIles at Lowell Public Library--LH--"Historic Sites")
THREE CREEKS MONUMENT
On Lowell's main street, Commercial Avenue, is the Three Creek Monument. Twenty-five feet high, with a nine foot granite base, this shaft is surmounted by the figure of a Union soldier. On each of three sides are inscribed the names of the men and one woman who served in the War of 1812, Civil War, Mexican War, and Spanish American War from Cedar Creek, Eagle Creek, and West Creek. On the fourth side are inscribed the names of men from the three townships who either lived or are buried in these townships, but did not serve from them.
Dedicated on June 9, 1905, by Governor Frank Hanley of Indiana and Department Commander Lucas of the G.A.R., it is to the best of our knowledge the only monument of its kind in the county.
Mrs. Joseph E. Brown and Mrs. W.A. McBride of the Julia Watkins Brass Chapter, N.S.D.A.R., felt that these names were worthy of recording in official records; when it was found that such a list did not exist in the library of Lowell nor in the possession of anyone, the entire listing of names was taken on August 5, 1956. A listing will be presented to the Lowell Library for any future reference. We felt that this list adds to vital information necessary for tracing family records, and should accompany the cemetery surveys from these townships.
The following list of veterans was taken directly from the monument in town by Gregory Jancosek in the summer of 2001. Due to sun glare and faulty eyesight, no one previously was ever 100% certain of each and every name on the monument. Mr. Jancosek climbed a ladder to view each name, and in addition, he felt the outline of each letter with a dowel rod to be positive he transcribed the names correctly.
A.M. Baldwin J. Brown
S. Bray C.A. Brownell
G.A. Brown W. Cochran H. Durland
C. E. Ketcham
W.H. Ketcham G.N. Kingsbury
C. Sargeant O.V. Servis