Eleanor Foster was born at Burlington, Penn., on the 25th day of March, 1832. She was the daughter of Elijah Dwight Foster and Ruth Cornelia Cady, nee Nichols. She was the fifth child in the family of nine children by this marriage, and was half sister to Eliza Dwight Foster, Alfred Dwight Foster and George Lyman Foster, who were children of Elijah Dwight Foster by his first marriage. The only child of Elijah Dwight Foster now living is Theopilus Randolph Foster of Fresno, Cal.
When Eleanor Foster was two years old her parents moved to Troy, N.Y. Later they lived in Mayfield, O., then in Euclid, O. When she was seven years of age her parents went by boat and ox team to Hinsely, Ind. Later they lived at Morgantown, Ind. When she was eleven years old they moved to Lake county, in '43.
She married James Brannon May 17, 1851. They settled on a prairie farm and were pioneers in developing West Creek township and Lake county.
They remained on their prairie farm until they had it under complete cultivation. This farm was not located on the public highway and school opportunities for their daughters, Lucina and Julia, were not as satisfactory as they desired. Hence they purchased the Ed Halstead farm on the state road, in the Buncombe neighborhood, in 1857. They were overtaken by the panic of 1857, shortly after signing the papers for this purchase. Notwithstanding the handicap of having to pay their obligations in gold at 50 per cent. premium they overcame their hardship. Early in 1859 they moved to this farm. Here the three sons, William Perry, George Dwight and Melvin Amos were born. In this home Lucina and Julia were married on Christmas Eve in 1873 to Edward Belshaw and Abbot Wason respectively. Later William Perry Brannon married Ella Barber on Feb. 2, 1882, and George and Melvin left for college in 1884, the old home seeming to them to be forsaken. They then purchased and improved property in Crown Point. During their residence there George Brannon married Lizzie S. Pratt on April 28, 1891, and Melvin Brannon married Lida Converse Lowery of Ft. Wayne, June 29, 1892.
After all the children had established homes for themselves the parents desired to be nearer their farm properties, whose care had become burdensome by reason of the distance from Crown Point, and they built this present home in Lowell in 1898. Here they were near the brother, Amos Brannon, and the sister, Mrs. Melvin A. Halstead.
During the period of removal from the Crown Point to the Lowell residence James Brannon was stricken with an acute attack of a chronic disease. He died Dec. 7, 1898. Since that time Mrs. Eleanor Brannon has lived with her sister, Miss Emily Brannon, in the Lowell home.
The church affiliations have been with Presbyterian church, membership having been held with Lake Prairie, Crown Point, and lastly, with Lowell Presbyterian church.
Five children were born to James and Eleanor Brannon. With the exception of Julia Brannon Wason, who died July 17, 1876, all of the children [are] present today to pay tribute to the loved one who served her God by giving her best service to His institution -- the Home.
Funeral services conducted by Elder John Bruce, assisted by Rev. Wozencraft, were held at the Brannon residence Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 4, 1907.
The pallbearers were W.P. Brannon, M.A. Brannon, G.D. Brannon, Lewis and Albert Belshaw, and Otto Dahl.
Burial at West Creek cemetery.
The children and friends have the sympathy of this community in their great bereavement.
Go to Eleanore Foster Brannon, "Pioneer History Index," for further information.
Return to Biographies.