Getting off the Monon, he was bewildered at not finding one familiar landmark. Gone were the old depot destroyed in the Monon wreck of 1950*, the huge grain elevator where Harding's warehouse now stands (the elevator was torn down more that 25 years ago) -- so Mr. Dier set out to locate the old "Mill Pond." Where it once hummed with activity, he found Logan's implement shop and several houses. The dam was removed from Cedar Creek 60 years ago when gas and electrical powered motors came into use.
Mr. Dier, who also attended school in Lowell, is really enjoying his visit, however, for he has located some former school chums, Bart Moxell, Thuel Hayden, Fred Schmal, Ed Ceiga and others who are bringing him up to date on Lowell's progress of the past 64 years.
* Note -- The Monon wreck actually occurred in 1952.
Return to Lowell Biographies.