DID YOU KNOW THAT:
Two swimming holes in Cedar Creek were popular places for many decades? One was near the Main Street bridge; the other, south of Oakley Street bridge in Lowell.
In 1911 the price of a ticket at the old Taylor Theater on Clark Street was 15 cents? The Taylor Theater became the Grand, at the southeast corner of Clark and Jefferson Streets (demolished in 1935).
In 1902 the price of a horse-drawn buggy at Sears, Roebuck and Company was $34.95, ordered from the catalog?
Coca Cola was only 5 cents per bottle early in the 1900's?
General William G. Haan, a famous officer in both the Spanish-American War and World War One, was from south Lake County?
By 1889 there were over 25 towns and villages in Lake County?
The Dearborn Manufacturing Company of Chicago operated a household brush factory in Lowell? It was near the Main Street bridge and moved from town in the 1930's.
The first business in Lowell was the Jonah Thorn Hotel and general store? It was located directly across from the Halsted House on Main Street.
In 1877 Cornelius M. Blachley was murdered by a creditor? It happened in front of the Thorn Hotel.
The first daily mail service between Lowell and Crown Point began in 1864?
In 1974 a tornado caused one and a half million dollars of damage in the Town of Lowell?
The Lowell Fire Department was organized in 1896?
It was recorded in the old history books that the Lowell area was about 665 feet above sea level?
A library was organized at Lowell in 1917 in rooms above the present Davis Store in downtown Lowell?
The name of Abbie Cutler, Navy nurse, was listed on the 1905 Soldiers and Sailors Monument at Olde Towne Square?
From 1933 to 1944 there was a historical museum in the lower level of the Lowell Public Library? The library then was at the square.
Electric lights were first turned on in the Town of Lowell on June 30, 1897? The power came from a steam generator on Liberty Street, north of the present post office.
In 1850 the total population of the Three Creek Townships was 1227? -- 501 in Cedar Creek Township, 315 in Eagle Creek, and 411 in West Creek - - 1227 persons came in 14 years.
The Cumberland Lodge, near Schneider, was one of several busy hunting lodges which were along the Kankakee River in the days before the river was dredged? It burned down decades ago.
The first television in the Lowell area was installed in 1947 at the appliance store owned by W.R. "Bill" Weaver? The set had a 10-inch screen.
Our first town marshal was Edward Curtiss? He was hired on May 3, 1869.
The population of Lowell in 1910 was 1,235?
During the early decades of the 1900's, oil was discovered in the Kankakee Valley? For a time the village of Thayer used natural gas from a local well.
The brightest days for the grand old resort hotels at Cedar Lake were from 1890 to 1930? Dozens of hotels lined the shores, catering to vacationers and picnickers from Chicago and elsewhere.
A large stone monument to the memory of pioneer historian Rev. Timothy H. Ball stands in the pioneer cemetery at Creston? But his burial was in Alabama, beside his wife.
For many years a musical string factory was in business at the village of Brunswick?
Many of the historical facts featured in this column were found on the Internet?
Stories about our settlers, our transportation, industry, the military, biographies, obituaries, old time news items, and genealogy can all be found at the Lowell Public Library's website?
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page