ANSWER -- Your answer was found in the book Pioneer Women of Lake County by Avis Bryant Brown and Alice Vinnedge. Nancy made the application for the land on the claim register in the spring of 1835, had a house built, supported her two girls and two boys while taking her part in the community. In 1840 Nancy married a young man in the Pleasant Grove neighborhood by the name of John Gardner Keller -- with whom she moved to Winfield, Iowa, where she died in 1884. Six children were born of this union.
QUESTION -- Both the Grand Theatre and the Taylor Theatre have been mentioned in previous columns. Were they in the same building, and which came first?
ANSWER -- When the building was originally built on the southeast corner of Jefferson and Clark Streets (just north of the Tribune office) around 1910, it was called the Taylor Theater after the builder. Later it was renamed Taylor's Grand Theatre, which was shortened for years to "the Grand." Many of the early silent movies were shown there and moved on to "talkies" until it was torn down in 1935. Cement blocks and wooden trusses from the old building were used to build a Lake County Garage building on what is now Harding Drive. It still stands as part of the Rieter Office Complex.
QUESTION -- When was the first Lowell Volunteer Fire Department formed?
ANSWER -- The Lowell Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1896 with Eugene Nafus as its first chief. It originally had twenty members. Early in the century the fire wagons were drawn by horse teams. The same teams were also used for the local express wagon. Much to the surprise of the unwary driver, the horses would unexpectedly race back to the fire house when the alarm went off.
QUESTION -- What was the first restaurant in Lowell?
ANSWER -- In 1852 Jonah Thorn opened the first hotel, bar and general store near the Halsted House on Main Street. They served food "family style" only at set mealtimes.
QUESTION -- What was the name of the semi-pro football team?
ANSWER -- The "Beef Trust" football team played here in the early 1900's. There was also a baseball team here in the 20's called the Lowell Stars. Players received $15 to $150 per game.
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page