Mr. L.W. Thompson was born July 14, 1814, became a resident of City West, in Porter County, Indiana in 1837, or 1836, when 22 years of age; civil government having then commenced, he held the office of constable; became acquainted there with Miss Prudence Muzzall, sister of Abram Muzzall, and the two were married Aug. 12, 1839, and settled in Ross Township, in Lake County, near the home of Mr. Bartlett Woods, and of other families from England, from which land Mr. Abram Muzzall and his mother and two sisters came. The Thompson family for a time resided in Chicago, and later in life became citizens of Crown Point, with their two sons, Henry John, now in Texas, and Albert Leonard, now in the West.
The oldest child, Mrs. Martha Phillips, has for many years resided in Hammond, and nobly did she and her family care for her father in many months of infirmity allotted to him. He had been through life an active man, doing skilled workmanship with a lathe here in Crown Point, and keeping a greenhouse. He was a trustee of the North Street Baptist church of which his wife was an active and devoted member, and took a large interest in the erection of the church building. He was a very kindly hearted man, with a cheerful disposition, and a good neighbor and friend.
Return to Biographies.