Clyde R. King, photographer, and E.E. Woodcock, printer, both of Lowell, combined their talents to publish The Souvenir Album of Lake County in 1906. This paperback history book of 82 pages sold for "the modest price of 75 cents."
"Our book does not claim to be an encyclopedia, we do not aspire to produce a ponderous history of Lake County, but to paint in light, quick strokes, deftly and interestingly, by pen and camera," they wrote. Their publication included the early history of Lake County, as well as achievements and "notable features."
One of the first pages featured an advertisement for Manuel and Manuel, Dry Goods and General Merchandise at Cedar Lake, the next page showing an old photo of Lassen's Dance Pavilion on the lake, with praises also for the fine fleet of excursion boats available there.
Some of the following pages included stories about the Lake County Poor Farm east of Crown Point and the first log school house at Cedar Lake.
Shown is a picture of the old Lake County Court House (the third), which was on the north side of Clark Street on the square and also of the old court house, still in the center of the square.
Included is a photo of the members of the Lake County Board of Education of 1906: C.E. Black, Eagle Creek; H. Worley, Cedar Creek; Fred Mondernach, Hanover; H. Hathaway, West Creek; and C.H. Meeker, Center Township.
Then came a story about Solon Robinson, the founder of Crown Point and "one of Lake County's energetic pioneers." He was an 1834 settler.
"Lake County possesses one of the rare fairgrounds which nature herself made ready for man and adapted it to purpose, with the beautiful deep Fancher Lake surrounded by the race track.
Several pages were about the city of Hammond (20,000 population in 1906). Photos are shown of prominent persons, the Superior Court Building, the library, the Federal Building, Hammond police force, the firemen, Central and Washington Schools, the Calumet River and others. Stories were told about the Conkey Printing Company, Simplex Company, Hammond Illuminating Company, Chicago Steel, Mackie Steel Tube, Hammond Distilling Company, Hammond Lumber, the Piano Works, the bed spring factory, the Betz Company and more.
Several pages tell the story of the City of Hobart (1,600 population in 1906). "It is in the midst of the richest dairy and stock growing portion of Indiana, and has some of the best clay deposits in the state," the men wrote.
The "classic" Town of Lowell is featured on six pages. In a short history: "Lowell has long held the reputation of being one of the best trading points on its railway line, owing to the excellent farming community surrounding it and the high grade of farmers who support it. From the disastrous fire in 1898 rose a solid block [two blocks] of fine brick buildings."
Photographs were of several Lowell churches, Lowell's public square showing the 100-foot water tower which held Lowell's sulphur water, semi-pro football and baseball teams, the fire of 1898, the Lowell Volunteer Fire Department (26 members shown) and a full page photo of the pioneer Dinwiddie clan.
About Indiana Harbor it was written: "On Sept. 8, 1901, the erection of the Inland Steel Mills was begun on the shores of Lake Michigan, and the town of Indiana Harbor sprung up and is now  a flourishing, up-to- date city. Several photos are shown of the lake, schools, downtown Indiana Harbor, fire department, Inland Steel and more.
"East Chicago, now a thriving, energetic and populous center, was founded about 1888 where the Penman family first settled,: the book said. Several photos were included.
"In 1872, Whiting was a flag station on the Michigan Southern Railroad with fifteen families, until 1889, when Standard Oil Company began to erect its mammoth refinery and the community sprung into fame, and now  counts 5,000 inhabitants," it was written. Photos of streets and refinery are shown.
"Dyer, a station on the Monon Railroad, is a modest village of some 200 persons, platted in 1855. It is one of the oldest and most peaceable towns in the County," the book said of Dyer. School and church pictures are shown.
"The passing of the first train on the Monon in 1882 and the crossing of it by the 'Three I' was the origin of the village of Shelby at this crossing," related the duo, but no photos were shown.
"Cedar Lake has long been known as Lake County's prettiest summer resort. Nothing surpasses the restfulness of Nature's beauty, grandeur or placidity. The combination of woods, hills and a large body of fresh, wholesome, navigable water is what gives Cedar Lake its attractiveness to the crowds that come here each summer," the men wrote. Several photos of the Cedar Lake area are shown.
Advertisers included Hoevet and Ruge, General Merchandise; William Sheets, Undertaker; Driscoll's Drug Store; John Zartman's Livery Stable; J. Claude Rumsey, Builder; Wilbur Lumber Co.; A.H. Maxwell, Hardware and Implements; Thomas Arnott, Furniture; Fred Ault, Plumber; Lowell National Bank; State National Bank; Ed Brownell, Graphophones; George Berg, West Side Hardware; George Heilig, Bakery; Fred Schmal's Hotel; Grant Brothers General Mdse.; Paul Ellis, Cigars; H.D. Alyea, Livery Stable; Powell & Latta, Brick Layers -- all from the Lowell area. From Shelby: Dickey's General Mdse.; Mrs. J.A. Warner, Restaurant; Ahlgrim Park Resort; James Dickey, Real Estate. From Cedar Lake: the Sigler House Hotel.
From the publishers: "This is a unique book, the only one of its kind in Lake County."
It was sold for a low price, was purchased by most of the families in 1906, and has very interesting historical photographs and short histories. Copies of the 1906 publication are available for viewing at the Central Branch of the Lake County Library.
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page