In 1839 a school was held in a log cabin built by John Kile, for a dwelling. This house stood on the west side of West Creek, near the State road. It was used for two years for a school and church. Elizabeth Hurley was the first teacher. After her, a Miss Hues taught here. Among the patrons of this school were the Sangers, Haydens, Kitchels, Hathaways and Pulvers.
In 1854 a frame house about 18 x 30 feet, was built a half mile east of West Creek on the State Road. This was a small frame building and was not used long.
During the summer of 1842, a school was taught by Julia Sanders on section 8, in a log house built by John Lynch's father. This was the first school taught in this vicinity. The Ferguson, Wood, Hathaway, Sanders, Beatle, and Pulver families were patrons of this school. The school was small and only one term was taught there.
Miss Sanders was paid the extravagant smn of $1.00 a week and enjoyed the privilege of "boarding around."
The first school in this neighborhood was built in 1842. William Sanders furnished the materials and bore all the expense of its erection with the exception of $1. The neighbors turned out and helped to build it; it was raised and then the logs were "scored" and hued on the exterior of the house. This building was used about 13 years. It stood just south of the Sanders cemetery. Some of the teachers were Richard Parsons, Ruth Ann Graves, Jonathan Wheeler and three of his daughters, Harriet Jones, Miss Bamb and Mariah Brundridge.
In 1844 a log house was built about a half mile west of West Creek on the State road on the land owned by W.A. Clark. It was built by voluntary contributions. Libby Church, Miss M.A. Sigler, Washington Allen, Worcester Cleaver and Miriah Bryant taught in this house.
In 1857 a frame house was built about 60 rods east of West Creek, on the north side of the State road. In 1877 this was moved a mile farther south and was used as a dwelling.
In 1855 a house was erected on the site of the old log house at the Sanders cemetery, but before it was under cover the people concluded to change the location, and it was accordingly moved to a point a half mile farther south. The house was a good sized fame and about $200 was raised by subscription for the purpose of paying for it. The house was used for school purposes about 12 years when it was sold to William Belshaw and was occupied as a dwelling on the Edward Belshaw homestead for many years.
Written Februrary 24, 1938, for the Lowell Tribune.
Return to Lowell Biographies.