-- in 1939, when Emil Harding was preparing to build the present business building at the corner of West Commercial and Harding Drive, an old house was torn down at the site? It was the family home of William Sigler, Sr., built about 1860. Mr. Sigler was one of Lowell's early business owners.
-- during the month of August, 1934, 750 soldiers from the 605th Infantry Regiment camped at Oakland Park? They came from Jefferson Barracks in Missouri and were on their way to Camp Custer, Michigan, near Battleground. Residents were treated to a concert by a 40 piece brass band.
-- the Lowell Tribune reported the death of John Randall Taylor, November 1941? He was the last Civil War Veteran in the area.
-- in 1913 Charles Sanger bought the Logan Restaurant on Commercial Ave? Soon after that John E. Zartman bought the Bird Viant pool hall and barber shop? (site unknown). Ed Wheeler was in charge of the barber shop.
-- in 1946, the Cumberland Lodge, near Schneider, was destroyed by fire? Built circa 1872, the 23 room building served as a hunting lodge for sportsmen from all over the world. At the time of the fire it was the residence of Mr. and Mrs. John Schneider.
-- in 1925, Alva Wood bought the interest of his brother Lewis in Wood's Quality Store? Their store was in the building now occupied by Picket Fence Antique Shop. Also that year William W. Bartz completed his new filling station at the southeast corner of Jefferson and Mill Streets in Lowell. Auto parts store now on that corner. Bird Viant bought a restaurant from Dewey Childress. The building, gone for decades, was on the south side of Commercial Ave., near Mill Street stop light.
-- in February 1933 a museum was opened in the lower level of the Lowell Public Library building next to the town square? The museum, popular for over a decade, closed in December, 1944.
-- the following appeared in The Lowell Tribune in Jan. 1926? "Bill Weaver has rented the room formerly occupied by the Beckman Grocery, and has fitted it up and will move his barber shop there. His father, H.V. Weaver has fitted the back part of the room for his undertaking rooms." Now the site of the Lowell Office Supply store.
-- in Jan. 1944 Guy Wells bought the Samuel Petrie Harness shop at the northeast corner of Commercial Avenue and Halsted Streets? In May 1945, when the building was sold to Murrell Belanger, Wells closed the shop, the last harness shop in the town of Lowell.
-- Jan 1949 was the date that marked the opening of the Robert Law office in their new building at the northwest corner of Commercial Ave. and Wall Street.
-- in April 1940, Bolt's IGA Modern Market was selling 3 pounds of Sunny Morn coffee for 39 cents? Wheaties were 10 cents a box, sweet potatoes 4 pounds for a quarter, pork sausage was priced at 29 cents for 2 pounds, and 24 pounds of flour was sold for 99 cents. The store was in the west section of the present Stork Nest restaurant building.
-- in April 1935 nearly the entire business district of DeMotte, Indiana was destroyed by fire? Damage was estimated to be $300,000. Five fire companies fought the blaze during a high wind and with a lack of water.
-- in October, 1914, Sam Sirois of Shelby was erecting a new store building between his residence and F.H. Shinabarger's hardware store?
-- during April, 1914, the famous and original Western Bloomer Girls Baseball team visited Lowell to play an exciting game with the Lowell Baseball team? The game featured Kate Becker, champion lady pitcher of the world.
-- in April, 1900 Perry D. Clark was finishing his new downtown brick building? It was soon to be occupied by the Grant Bros. General Store. Now the Lowell Carpet Store.
-- in 1902 the Lowell Gun Club was advertising a big shoot at their grounds? Their grounds became Oakland Park on Oakley Street in Lowell.
-- in 1924 a new Ford coupe could be purchased for $525?
-- in 1926 Mildren Hayden opened a garage in the building vacated by Ralph Brownell next to the Tribune? The space is now a part of the Pilcher Publishing Co. complex on Clark Street. Brownell moved to the Lassen Garage at Cedar Lake, now a part of the Cedar Lake Town offices, near the Lake of the Red Cedars Museum.
-- during the Lowell town elections of 1875 Trustee Melvin Halsted received 42 votes, Daniel Fry, 32?
-- in the spring of 1915 George Berg was preparing to have his new brick hardware building built by contractors Gordon and Alyea? Berg was in business first across the street from the present Anvil Awards Trophy shop, and was preparing to build the brick building which is now the east section of Zuni's Restaurant. His West Side Hardware was built over the ashes of his father's (Nick Berg) blacksmith shop.
-- in 1926 Clayton Randolph was advertising a new Dodge Sports Roadster with rumble seat for the price of $1050? His Auto agency was in part of the building now occupied by Superior Furniture.
-- the Silver Cornet Brass Band was a popular group in Lowell during the 1870's? More than a dozen musicians were lead by Owen E. Sutton. Theron Halsted, Leroy Bates, William Tuthill and Elery Nichols all played the cornet; George Sutton, William Driscoll, and Niles Clement plays alto horns; George W. Waters blew the baritone horn; Judson Davis played the tenor horn; Edward Mee puffed the tuba; Charles W. Mullinex on the snare drum and John Daum the bass drum. In 1938, Charles Mullinex was thought to be the only member of the band still living.
-- March 19, 1926 was an exciting night in the town of Lowell? Tom Owen and his Barn Dance Orchestra from WLS broadcasting station in Chicago appeared on the big stage of the Grand Theatre, followed by a movie featuring Tom Mix. After that the crowds moved to the Lowell Opera House to take part in a big dance, with two bands, "old time and modern."
-- in 1875 Del (Adelbert) Palmer was erecting a new store building at Tinkerville? From Lowell Star, forerunner of the Lowell Tribune: "He proposed to go into the store business on a big scale as soon as the iron was laid on the new railroad." The first trains came about 1881, when the name of the little village was changed to Creston. Many readers will remember Floyd T. "Swede" Vinnedge owner of the old store and post office for many decades after World War One.
-- in 1914 Dr. Franklin Petry began practice at his office on the upper level of the Grant Bros. Store? Grant Brother's General Store was at the present site of the Lowell Carpet Store. Dr. Petry was formerly located at the village of Thayer, and later at Gary.
-- the first highway bridge over the creek at Mill Street in Lowell was built in 1926? Old "State Road 10" through Lowell was changed from Clark to Mill Street when the Winamac Construction Company erected the bridge for about $14,000. The 1926 bridge replaced in later years.
-- in 1925 an old frame building was moved from the northwest corner of Mill Street and Commercial Ave.? The small building which housed a harness shop, later a cream station, was moved to make way for a new filling station owned by James H. Brannock, who was a road contractor in the area for 25 years. The little building was moved to a site near the Lowell American Legion hall to be used as a scout hut. It is now a storage building . Brannock's brick building was at an angle on the corner. More modern building followed, the last occupied by Bennet's Auto Care which recently moved to 274 Westmeadow St. The corner of Mill Street and Commercial Ave. is soon to be the site of a branch of the Centier Bank.
-- in February, 1914, Bernard T. Beckman was tearing down the old Bisig wagon shop that bridged the creek west of his blacksmith shop? Before the course of the creek was changed in the 1950's, Beckmans' shop also bridged the creek near Halsted and Washington Streets. A bridge once spanned the creek on Halsted Street.
-- the Rickenbacker Automobile was advertised for sale in 1925? A four door coach-brougham was offered for sale by Jasper "Jap" Surprise (1870-1963), well known Lowell business man and a member of an early pioneer family. His price was $1595.00 FOB Detroit, Mich. The Rickenbacker Automobile Company was founded by Eddie Rickenbacker, champion race car driver, World War One fighter pilot, President of Eastern Airlines and pilot for special flights during World War Two. The auto company was bankrupt in a few years.
-- that the interesting Lake of the Red Cedars Museum is open for tours from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. every Thursday thru Sunday during the summer months? The museum is in the historic Lassen Hotel building at the Cedar Lake government complex.
-- that the Historic Halsted House Museum at the corner of Halsted and Main streets in Lowell will be open every first Saturday of the month, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.? (June 5) For special group tours and other times call 696-9234 or 696-0641.
Remember the achievements of today -- the promises of tomorrow, and never forget yesterday -- the memories of our past.
Return to Lowell History
Return to the "Pioneer History" A to Z Index Page